Are you ready to hit the beach in Wilmington with your furry friend? Before you pack up the car and head out, there are a few things to consider. From safety precautions to proper beach etiquette, taking your dog to the beach in Wilmington can be an exciting adventure for both of you. In this blog post, we’ll provide tips on how to make the most out of your day at the beach with your canine companion. So grab some sunscreen and get ready for some fun in the sun!
Beach rules for dogs
Before taking your dog to the beach in Wilmington, make sure you are familiar with the beach rules for dogs. Most beaches require dogs to be on a leash at all times. Some beaches also have specific areas where dogs are allowed to swim and play. Be sure to check the beach rules before heading out for a day of fun in the sun with your furry friend.
What to bring for your dog
When bringing your dog to the beach in Wilmington, be sure to pack all of the essentials! This includes food and water bowls, a leash, waste bags, and any toys or treats your pup may want. You should also pack anything else you may need for yourself, such as sunscreen, snacks, and a chair or blanket.
The best beaches for dogs
Many dogs love running around on the sand and chasing waves. If you have a dog that loves the beach, then you’re in luck—Wilmington has some great beaches for dogs! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Wrightsville Beach: This beach is very dog-friendly, with a designated “Dog Beach” section where dogs can run off-leash. There are also plenty of water bowls and baggies for cleanup available throughout the beach. Check the dates though, dogs are only permitted on this beach during certain months of the year.
- Carolina Beach: Dogs are welcome on this beach year-round, as long as they remain on a leash no longer than 10 feet. There’s also a boardwalk that’s perfect for strolling with your pup while enjoying ocean views.
- Kure Beach: Kure Beach has a similar setup to Carolina Beach, with a designated “Dog Zone” where leashes are not required. However, during the peak season ( Memorial Day through Labor Day), dogs must be leashed at all times when not in the Dog Zone.
Whether your dog loves to romp in the sand or just lounging in the sun, he or she is sure to enjoy any of these beaches. And you’ll enjoy spending time in the sun!
How to keep your dog safe at the beach
If you're planning on taking your furry friend to the beach this summer, there are a few things you'll need to keep in mind to make sure they have a safe and enjoyable time. Here are some tips on keeping your dog safe at the beach:
- Avoid taking your dog to the beach during peak hours when it is most crowded. This will help reduce the risk of them getting lost or overwhelmed by all the people and activities.
- Make sure your dog is wearing a collar with ID tags in case they do happen to get lost. A GPS tracker can also be a helpful safety measure.
- Keep your dog on a leash at all times while at the beach. This will help you keep better control of them and prevent them from running off after birds or other animals.
- Be mindful of how hot the pavement can get during the summer months. Put your hand on the ground for a few seconds to check the temperature before letting your dog walk on it. If it's too hot, consider investing in paw pads or booties to protect their feet.
- Don't forget the sunscreen! Dogs can get sunburned just like humans, so be sure to apply pet-safe sunscreen to their exposed skin before heading out into the sun.
Taking your dog to the beach in Wilmington is a great way for you and your furry friend to bond and spend some quality time together. With our helpful tips, you can make sure that your day at the beach goes off without a hitch. Be sure to bring plenty of refreshments, keep an eye on the weather, clean up after your pet, and obey all rules – then sit back and enjoy watching your pup have a blast!
Once you and your dog become regulars at all the local beaches around Wilmington, you'll also know how important it is to clean up after your pet. Doodycalls offers commercial services that also include dog parks and more! Check it out here.