You must take extra precautions to keep your pup safe during the hot, muggy weather here in Orlando, Florida. This blog will offer tips and tricks to help you do that. Find out how to keep your pup healthy during warm, humid Florida days, including what products to use to prevent heatstroke and other health issues, and how often you should take them outside for exercise.
Here are some tips for keeping your dog cool in Orlando's hot weather:
1. During the hottest part of the day, between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., keep your dog indoors or in the shade. Wondering what the weather's like in Orlando today? Check out the weather report here.
2. A pet fountain can be a great way to encourage your dog to drink more water. Make sure your dog has access to fresh, cool water.
3. The use of cooling products can help keep your dog cool, such as cooling mats and jackets.
4. When exercising with your dog, take frequent breaks in shady areas and offer them water regularly. You can find lots of shady spots at Lake Druid Dog Park!
5. A well-groomed coat will help reflect heat away from your dog's body. Make sure to brush out any knots or tangles to ensure their coat lays flat against their skin. If you need help grooming your furry companion, check out All Creatures Pet Grooming!
Avoiding the heat
Here are a few tips on how to take care of your dogs in the Orlando heat:
1. If you must walk your dog during the hottest hours of the day (between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.,) make sure you do so in a shady area and bring along some water for both of you.
2. Add ice cubes to your dog's water bowl or give them cold water from the fridge to keep him hydrated throughout the day.
3. You should never leave your dog in a parked car, even for a few minutes. It could quickly turn deadly.
4. Do not leave your dog outside for extended periods without shade and plenty of fresh water. You can also put out a kiddie pool for them to cool off in.
5. Pavement can get extremely hot and burn your dog's paws. Place your hand on the pavement for a few seconds - if it is too hot for you, your dog's paws will be too!
Essentials for a hot day
Shade and shelter from the sun are the most important things you can do for your dog when temperatures rise. To do this, provide a shady area in your yard, cover their exercise area with an umbrella or tarp, or simply go for walks in the cool mornings and evenings.
A good way to keep your dog cool is always to provide fresh water. Keep multiple water bowls in your house and yard so he can access water easily. If you walk your dog on hot pavement, avoid burning his paws. Always walk your dog in grassy areas or wear booties. Also, never leave your dog in a parked car; this keeps them safe from theft, heatstroke and getting into things they shouldn't.
As pet owners, we are responsible for providing our dogs with a safe and comfortable environment. We hope this article has given you insight into keeping your dog safe in the Orlando heat. If you give your pup plenty of water, keep him out of direct sunlight during peak hours and avoid excessive exercise or prolonged time outside, you can keep him healthy and safe under all weather conditions.
Keep your pet (and your entire family) healthy by regularly removing waste from your yard. If scooping poop is your least favorite chore, call us; we can help! Here at DoodyCalls Orlando, scooping poop is what we do best. You can learn more about our pet waste removal services by visiting our website.