The hot, muggy weather in Jacksonville, Florida, makes it imperative that you take extra measures to keep your pup safe. This blog article will offer tips and tricks to keep your pup safe. Read on to learn how to keep your pup safe during warm Florida days, from what products to use to prevent heatstroke and other health issues to how often to take them outside for exercise.
In Jacksonville's hot weather, here are some ways to keep your dog cool
1. Avoid the midday sun: The hottest part of the day is between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., so it’s best to keep your dog indoors or in the shade during this time. Wondering what the weather's looking like in Jacksonville today? Check out the weather report here.
2. Provide plenty of water: Ensure your dog has access to fresh water. A pet fountain can be a great way to encourage your dog to drink more water.
3. Use cooling products: Several products available can help keep your dog cool, such as cooling mats and jackets.
4. Take breaks during exercise: If you’re going for a walk or run with your dog, take frequent breaks in shady areas and offer them water often. You can find lots of shady spots at John Gorrie Dog Park of Riverside Park!
5. Keep their coat groomed: A well-groomed coat will help reflect some heat away from your dog’s body. Be sure to brush out any knots or tangles, so their coat lays flat against their skin. If you need help grooming your furry companion, check out Vanity Fur Pet Spa & Grooming!
Staying out of the heat
In the Jacksonville heat, it's essential to take extra care of your dogs. Here are some tips on how to do that:
1. Avoid walking your dog during the hottest hours of the day. If you have to walk them, do it in a shady area and bring along water for both of you.
2. Keep your dog hydrated by giving them plenty of fresh water throughout the day. Add ice cubes to their water bowl or give them cold water from the fridge.
3. Never leave your dog in a parked car, even for a few minutes. It can quickly turn into a deadly situation.
4. If your dog is spending time outside, ensure they have access to shade and plenty of fresh water. You can also put out a kiddie pool for them to cool off in. Do not leave them outside for extended periods.
5. Check the pavement before taking your dog for a walk. The pavement can get incredibly hot and burn your dog's paws. Place your hand on the pavement for a few seconds - if it's too hot to keep your hand on, it's too hot for your dog's paws!
Hot day essentials
The most important thing you can do for your dog when the temperatures rise is to provide shade and shelter from the sun. You can provide a shady spot in your yard, an umbrella or tarp over their exercise area, or simply take them for walks in the cool mornings and evenings.
Providing plenty of fresh water to your dog at all times is another way to keep him cool. Fill up multiple water bowls and place them in your house and yard, so he always has access to water. Whenever you walk your dog, avoid hot pavement, which can burn his paws. Whenever possible, walk your dog in grassy areas or use booties. Additionally, never leave your dog in a parked car; this keeps your dog safe from theft, heatstroke and getting into things they shouldn't.
As pet owners, we are responsible for providing our dogs with a safe and comfortable environment. We hope this article has given insight into keeping your dog safe in the Jacksonville heat. It is possible to keep your pup healthy and safe in all weather conditions by providing plenty of water, keeping him out of direct sunlight during peak hours and avoiding excessive exercise or prolonged time outdoors.
Removing waste from your yard is another great way to keep your pet (and the rest of your family) healthy. If you do not have time or the desire to remove waste from your yard regularly, let us help you; it's what we do here at DoodyCalls Jacksonville! To learn more about our pet waste removal services, visit our website.